Saturday, September 4, 2010

Australia Zoo! Woo hoo!

One of my favorite parts of vacationing on the Sunshine Coast was visiting Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter's zoo. While it didn't have many of the jungle and savannah-type animals I am used to see at zoos (i.e. zebra, giraffe, lion, monkey...) it had many many crocodiles (naturally) and of course many marsupials.
While I had held a koala at the Cairns Tropical Zoo upon my first arrival in Australia in 2008, I hadn't ever been so close to so many at once! The koalas are not caged up at Australia Zoo, and they are at nearly face level, and within arms reach. Granted, you aren't supposed to touch any expect the one on display, but the others are just hanging out right there! Luckily for me, they were actually awake as well -- pretty cool, considering they sleep 20 hours a day.
"Oy vey!"
"Yeah, what are you lookin' at?"
This little guy below is an escape artist! He was hanging out in the fenced off trees, but climbed down and out past the fence, onto the walkway right at my feet!! A trainer quickly swooped over to pick him up and put him on a branch, haha, but I was very excited!
There were two buddies who went from hugging to play fighting and back to hugging again.
A sleepy koala and a lively koala who ended up practically bending over backwards to reach eucalyptus leaves.
A mother who was snuggling her tiiiiny baby koala against her chest! Look at that little face!!
My other favorite part was the kangaroos. They live in a lovely world called "Roo Heaven" where there are no trainers hanging about, no fences or walls to view them from. It's like going to a park, but with hundreds of vegged out kangaroos!
Seriously, these guys were doped up. On food. No one wanted to eat the food we reached out to them, they were all just laying on the ground all full and sleepy, their eyes half closed. It was pretty funny.
 
Playboy!
But it was so nice, because I got to just literally lay down with them and pet them. They were so docile.
There was one beauuutiful kangaroo, that had a cream and brown spotted coat, so unique! It was gorgeous, sooo soft, and super sweet and friendly.
I just absolutely love love loved hanging out with them :)
"Hey, what's under there?"
There were some other neat animals. The Asian elephants... and I got to feed one of them! It tickled.
Komodo Dragon.
Crocodiles.
I love this sign on the fence. Very morbid!! Haha.

Another day, we went Whale Watching on Steve Irwin's "Whale One" boat. It was a nice day!
We got soaked when walking from the back to the front of the boat. Terrible timing with waves spraying onto us...Ack! You can see the water on my arms, and there's even more on my butt, haha.
Oh, it was also so windy, and I didn't plan my wardrobe very well, that my skirt flew up and I most definitely flashed a young couple and I was absolutely mortified!!!
We mostly just watched one whale the whole time. It breached the water quite a bit, and this is the best photo I was able to get.
It also went vertically face-down in the water and did tons and tons of these tail slaps for us, it was gorgeous! Unfortunately I don't have any photos of that because my camera died after 10 minutes of having it on :(
Australia really has some wonderful animals, and I am a big animal lover. I find them so intriguing and mysterious and wonderful, and I love seeing them in action! I'm glad that I was able to see all this wildlife on my vacation in the Sunshine Coast!
 ♥

4 comments:

Rose said...

awww I would so LOVE to go to Australia Zoo! The koalas are so cute, and you got to go so close to them too. I love the pic of the two hugging :)
The kangaroos are nice too, but ive always been a bit scared of them since we went to a wildlife park when me and my bro were kids and a huge one was tring to pull my brothers pram away from my dad because it had food in it, that was pretty scary.
The whale boat looks so nice, and you were so close to that whale.
Lastly that is such a nice photo of you and the kangaroo at the end!

Rose

Unknown said...

Awww, so so so awesome!
Catching up on your blog now :)
www.ifyouneverdid.com

Rose said...

Hey Laura,
Im sure you would be able to order the womens weekly cookbooks through the net, maybe try ebay.
And about the floods, it was crazy stormy here last week but not actually flooding the house or anything like that. I hate the rain! Its been such a long winter that I am craving the sun like crazy now!
Its a pitty you didnt see the yarn bombs down Glenelg, and a shame we didnt get a chance to catch up while you were here. But next time we will make an acutal date! Even if its just for coffee.

Rose

agatheloff said...

Aww, very cute koalas! x